Nine Best Practices to Help Customers Help Themselves
Many new support cases can be avoided if customers are able to access the knowledge and expertise of Support without needing to interact with live agents. It’s all about helping your customers help themselves — and everyone benefits.
Support teams represent a repository of product expertise and must work to make their knowledge available to customers. Many new support cases can be avoided if customers are able to access the knowledge and expertise of Support. Transferring knowledge to customers to help them become more self-sufficient should be high on the list of strategic imperatives for all Support organizations.
Leverage these 9 self-help best practices to help customers successfully help themselves:
- Provide direct customer access to up-to-date solutions to common customer issues.
- Provide enhanced search and discovery capabilities to help customers find answers.
- Implement formal knowledge management processes to create new and update existing knowledgebase content.
- Supplement the support knowledge base with customer access to documentation, release notes, getting started guides, help files available.
- Deliver more than just answers to frequently asked questions and develop a repository of best practice guides, examples, same code, templates, etc.
- Take advantage of delivery formats including text, video, and interactive guides.
- Provide access to self-guided tools and utilities to assist customers with self-diagnostics and issue repair.
- Create and nurture and active user community to facilitate peer-to-per issues resolution and sharing of best practices.
- Provide access to self-paced training, recorded webinars and other skills development resources.
Learn more about Customer Proficiency Metrics that gauge the impact of issue prevention initiatives – Download the ServiceXRG whitepaper:
Four Imperatives for Scaling Support.
How successful are your efforts to scale Support?
We’re here to help you do better.
Reach out anytime to get answers and insights about proven, measurable ways for your Support function to run at greater scale. Use the chat button at bottom right, send an e-mail, or click on my calendar to schedule a specific time to talk.
Support demand is on the rise. What’s your response plan?
Download the ServiceXRG Whitepaper:
Four Imperatives for Scaling Support
Download Four Imperatives for Scaling Support and discover:
- The most effective approaches to scaling support — proven in high-volume support organizations.
- The 4 top strategies to scale support and reduce demand.
- The best practices that make these strategies effective.
- The metrics that enable precise tracking of your efforts to scale support.
To be fully successful with services you will need to be proficient in the right capabilities and have the maturity to execute. This article introduces the six characteristics of highly effective service organizations.
This article introduces practices to grow revenue by enabling Sales to sell services and to overcome customer objections.
This article introduces retention strategies to help you keep the customers you have.
This article introduces 10 steps to take to quantify the business impact of support.
Digital Engagement builds on the principles of self-help and extends benefits to both vendors and their customers by offering more ways to scale and sustain ongoing relationships.
Each year we begin by asking you about your top service challenges. Here are the results for 2022.