Nine Best Practices to Help Customers Help Themselves
Many new support cases can be avoided if customers are able to access the knowledge and expertise of Support without needing to interact with live agents. It’s all about helping your customers help themselves — and everyone benefits.
Support teams represent a repository of product expertise and must work to make their knowledge available to customers. Many new support cases can be avoided if customers are able to access the knowledge and expertise of Support. Transferring knowledge to customers to help them become more self-sufficient should be high on the list of strategic imperatives for all Support organizations.
Leverage these 9 self-help best practices to help customers successfully help themselves:
- Provide direct customer access to up-to-date solutions to common customer issues.
- Provide enhanced search and discovery capabilities to help customers find answers.
- Implement formal knowledge management processes to create new and update existing knowledgebase content.
- Supplement the support knowledge base with customer access to documentation, release notes, getting started guides, help files available.
- Deliver more than just answers to frequently asked questions and develop a repository of best practice guides, examples, same code, templates, etc.
- Take advantage of delivery formats including text, video, and interactive guides.
- Provide access to self-guided tools and utilities to assist customers with self-diagnostics and issue repair.
- Create and nurture and active user community to facilitate peer-to-per issues resolution and sharing of best practices.
- Provide access to self-paced training, recorded webinars and other skills development resources.
Learn more about Customer Proficiency Metrics that gauge the impact of issue prevention initiatives – Download the ServiceXRG whitepaper:
Four Imperatives for Scaling Support.
How successful are your efforts to scale Support?
We’re here to help you do better.
Reach out anytime to get answers and insights about proven, measurable ways for your Support function to run at greater scale. Use the chat button at bottom right, send an e-mail, or click on my calendar to schedule a specific time to talk.
Support demand is on the rise. What’s your response plan?
Download the ServiceXRG Whitepaper:
Four Imperatives for Scaling Support
Download Four Imperatives for Scaling Support and discover:
- The most effective approaches to scaling support — proven in high-volume support organizations.
- The 4 top strategies to scale support and reduce demand.
- The best practices that make these strategies effective.
- The metrics that enable precise tracking of your efforts to scale support.
The future success of Customer Support relies on the ability of Support to scale to meet growing demand and fulfill an expanded, success-focused mission. Learn about proven initiatives for scaling Support delivery capabilities.
Automation plays an increasingly important role in support case deflection and management activities. Leverage these 5 service automation strategies to free up your skilled support staff for higher value activities:
Higher levels of customer proficiency lead to faster product adoption and less need for support assistance. Leverage these 10 strategies will help customers develop essential product skills.
Identifying and alleviating performance and usability issues can go a long way toward preventing demand for Support. Leverage these 7 strategies for issue prevention to help lessen Support demand:
The Support organization encompasses extensive experience and expertise about how to use and apply products. Access to this Support knowledge is the primary reason customers contact Support. This article explains how companies can maximize the return on the creation and distribution of Support knowledge.
The use of Self-Service deflection as a basis to justify investments in Self-Service fosters an expectation that it is only capable of reducing costs. This article explains why Self-Service is vital to a successful service strategy and delivers benefits well-beyond cost reduction.