CX Implications for the Digital Transformation of Support
With the increased reliance and expanded use of web self-service and automation customer experiences are increasingly shaped digitally.
Imperatives to Sustain CX through Support Digital Transformation
The ability to influence customer behaviors and maintain mindshare in a crowded digital world requires a commitment to providing the right tools and content. To sustain and enhance customer experiences as support interactions shift to digital methods, consider the following:
- Today’s workforce is “digitally aware”– The population has shifted to a digitally aware workforce. When customers need assistance, they reach for the phone – not to make a call, but to search for an answer – be prepared to respond digitally.
- Digital access to support resources is expanding – Customers can get access to useful information through mobile apps, on the web and embedded within product interfaces – make access to support seamless and digital.
- Customer experiences and perceptions are influenced by digital experiences – As more customer interactions shift to digital interactions, a company’s opportunity to influence customer perceptions about its brand, its products and its services increasingly occurs without direct human interactions – Carefully craft your digital message.
- Customers have purpose, but need help attaining their goals – Customers know what they want to accomplish, but they do not always know how to achieve their desired outcome. A positive digital experience occurs when self-help and automated tools provide the guidance and resources to help customers achieve their goals – make digital support experiences welcoming and intuitive.
- Personal interaction is replaced by digital interaction – As self-service and automated transactions replace personal interaction, the burden for the quality of the customer experience shifts to digital tools and content. Lack of good content or hard-to-find resources quickly undermine the opportunity to offer a positive digital experience – Make sure that the support tools and content can deliver an experience comparable to an assisted human interaction.
- Many sources of content compete for customer mindshare – When customers and prospects cannot find what they are looking for on-line, there’s a good chance they will look for it elsewhere. If a company can’t satisfy its customers a competitor may get the opportunity to do so – Provide, timely accurate and compelling content through digital channels.
- Customer success and fulfillment of the customer experience requires a commitment to offer good content and the means to help customers find it – Content is king; it is the main reasons customers go on-line for technical support, product research, and shopping. Today, many customers report that the content they need does not exist, or if they do find it, the quality is less than they expect – Offer quality content and tools to support customers’ information needs throughout the product lifecycle including Sales – Onboarding – Adoption – Achievement of Success – Renewal – Expansion.
The digital transformation of support is defined by an increased use of digital technologies to improve and extend core support processes and enable new service capabilities. Self-help tools and content provided through the web are fundamental to support’s successful digital transformation. This Playbook outlines the five elements of well-designed support web sites.
Log-in to get your copy.
Login to Access the Full Report
If you don’t have an account, create a free* membership.
*Membership level determines your access to ServiceXRG research and other member services. Paid memberships include access to research and playbooks. Free memberships include access to some reports and discounts to others. Please visit our membership page for a list of available membership programs.
Many customer touchpoints with your company are conducted digitally through web self-service and automated tools. It is imperative to consider how customer experiences are impacted by services delivered through digital channels. This article introduces how to define and measure Digital Customer Experiences (dCX).
The primary objective of a support web site is to help customers find the information and resources they need quickly and intuitively. Well-designed support web sites encourage customers to invest their time to explore and discover the information they need. This article introduces the elements and practices for effective web support site design.
The digital transformation of support is defined by an increased use of digital technologies to improve and extend core support processes and enable new service capabilities. Digital transformation includes human-assisted, self-assisted and fully automated support transactions. This article defines and introduces key characteristics of the digital transformation of support.
The primary objective of a support web site is to help customers find the information and resources they need quickly and intuitively. Well-designed support web sites encourage customers to invest their time to explore and discover the information they need. This article introduces the three most important characteristics of a web support site.
Your customer base contains a diverse population of customers each with distinct needs and expectations. Implementing an effective service segmentation strategy will improve service sales, increase customer retention rates and create opportunities to offer new and expanded services. Here are tips for developing a service segmentation strategy.
Support has been relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement, yet the function of Support has remained fundamentally unchanged for decades. AI is a critical catalyst that will help enable an inevitable Support transformation. This article introduces 6 ways to apply AI to technical support.