CX Implications for the Digital Transformation of Support
With the increased reliance and expanded use of web self-service and automation customer experiences are increasingly shaped digitally.
Imperatives to Sustain CX through Support Digital Transformation
The ability to influence customer behaviors and maintain mindshare in a crowded digital world requires a commitment to providing the right tools and content. To sustain and enhance customer experiences as support interactions shift to digital methods, consider the following:
- Today’s workforce is “digitally aware”– The population has shifted to a digitally aware workforce. When customers need assistance, they reach for the phone – not to make a call, but to search for an answer – be prepared to respond digitally.
- Digital access to support resources is expanding – Customers can get access to useful information through mobile apps, on the web and embedded within product interfaces – make access to support seamless and digital.
- Customer experiences and perceptions are influenced by digital experiences – As more customer interactions shift to digital interactions, a company’s opportunity to influence customer perceptions about its brand, its products and its services increasingly occurs without direct human interactions – Carefully craft your digital message.
- Customers have purpose, but need help attaining their goals – Customers know what they want to accomplish, but they do not always know how to achieve their desired outcome. A positive digital experience occurs when self-help and automated tools provide the guidance and resources to help customers achieve their goals – make digital support experiences welcoming and intuitive.
- Personal interaction is replaced by digital interaction – As self-service and automated transactions replace personal interaction, the burden for the quality of the customer experience shifts to digital tools and content. Lack of good content or hard-to-find resources quickly undermine the opportunity to offer a positive digital experience – Make sure that the support tools and content can deliver an experience comparable to an assisted human interaction.
- Many sources of content compete for customer mindshare – When customers and prospects cannot find what they are looking for on-line, there’s a good chance they will look for it elsewhere. If a company can’t satisfy its customers a competitor may get the opportunity to do so – Provide, timely accurate and compelling content through digital channels.
- Customer success and fulfillment of the customer experience requires a commitment to offer good content and the means to help customers find it – Content is king; it is the main reasons customers go on-line for technical support, product research, and shopping. Today, many customers report that the content they need does not exist, or if they do find it, the quality is less than they expect – Offer quality content and tools to support customers’ information needs throughout the product lifecycle including Sales – Onboarding – Adoption – Achievement of Success – Renewal – Expansion.
The digital transformation of support is defined by an increased use of digital technologies to improve and extend core support processes and enable new service capabilities. Self-help tools and content provided through the web are fundamental to support’s successful digital transformation. This Playbook outlines the five elements of well-designed support web sites.
Log-in to get your copy.
The future success of Customer Support relies on the ability of Support to scale to meet growing demand and fulfill an expanded, success-focused mission. Learn about proven initiatives for scaling Support delivery capabilities.
Automation plays an increasingly important role in support case deflection and management activities. Leverage these 5 service automation strategies to free up your skilled support staff for higher value activities:
Many new support cases can be avoided if customers are able to access the knowledge and expertise of Support. Leverage these 9 best practices to help customers help themselves with success.
Higher levels of customer proficiency lead to faster product adoption and less need for support assistance. Leverage these 10 strategies will help customers develop essential product skills.
Identifying and alleviating performance and usability issues can go a long way toward preventing demand for Support. Leverage these 7 strategies for issue prevention to help lessen Support demand:
The Support organization encompasses extensive experience and expertise about how to use and apply products. Access to this Support knowledge is the primary reason customers contact Support. This article explains how companies can maximize the return on the creation and distribution of Support knowledge.