Ten Strategies to Build Customer Proficiency
The more you can build customer proficiency with your products, the more good things will happen. You’ll increase product adoption, a positive indicator for future purchases. And you’ll reduce the need for customers to contact your Support teams, giving you more runway to scale your Support operations.
Companies need to look beyond just helping customers help themselves and consider how they can build customers’ expertise so they can use and apply products more competently. Proficiency will require companies to move beyond a reliance on self-help-focused strategies and invest in building the foundational technical and business skills customers need to use products fully and successfully.
Leverage these 10 strategies to build customer proficiency, speed product adoption and reduce the need for support assistance:
- Define formal onboarding procedures that can assess customer proficiency and recommend appropriate skills development and training.
- Establish a skills inventory and recommended training plan as part of onboarding and adoption planning.
- Provide access to on-demand self-paced training and skills development.
- Provide access to on-demand live coaching to help customers gain experience and build skills in the context of using a product.
- Provide access to instructor led in-person and virtual training programs.
- Define learning paths to recommend skills development activities and align with available training resources.
- Encourage proficiency development by offering customers incentives to develop product-related skills.
- Provide skills inventory and assessment tools and services to assess customer proficiency on an ongoing basis.
- Define standards of proficiency and offer assessments and skills certification programs.
- Make learning fun for customers and reward proficiency development.
Learn more about Customer Proficiency Metrics that gauge the impact of issue prevention initiatives – Download the ServiceXRG whitepaper:
Four Imperatives for Scaling Support.
How successful are your efforts to scale Support?
We’re here to help you do better.
Reach out anytime to get answers and insights about proven, measurable ways for your Support function to run at greater scale. Use the chat button at bottom right, send an e-mail, or click on my calendar to schedule a specific time to talk.
Support demand is on the rise. What’s your response plan?
Download the ServiceXRG Whitepaper:
Four Imperatives for Scaling Support
Download Four Imperatives for Scaling Support and discover:
- The most effective approaches to scaling support — proven in high-volume support organizations.
- The 4 top strategies to scale support and reduce demand.
- The best practices that make these strategies effective.
- The metrics that enable precise tracking of your efforts to scale support.
Corporate financial performance depends on Services to nurture, retain, and grow customer relationship value. Companies are taking steps to modernize services and shift them to proactive, success-focused growth engines
Change is inevitable in Services but often difficult, especially when it challenges current operational and organizational norms. When you can recognize the conditions that require change and can address the potential inhibitors you can prepare for a smooth transition to a new operating and organizational model.
To be successful with Services, you must establish a Service plan. To be effective, the Service plan must clearly define the role of Services within your company, prioritize service initiatives necessary to attain prioritized results, and establish metrics to track service performance and outcomes.
The current organizational structure of your Services team and alignment with other customer-facing teams may be inhibiting your ability to deliver outcomes. Organizational alignment, increased cooperation, and shared goals are key to customer retention and revenue expansion initiatives.
This article introduces 8 essential metrics for Support and Customer Success.
The future success of Customer Support relies on the ability of Support to scale to meet growing demand and fulfill an expanded, success-focused mission. Learn about proven initiatives for scaling Support delivery capabilities.