Take These 5 Proven Actions to Scale Support Delivery
The future success of your Customer Support organization relies on your ability to scale Support delivery. By taking these five actions, you can effectively scale Support delivery to not only meet the expected demand growth, but also fulfill an expanded, Success-focused mission.
When you can scale Support delivery, your team can add more value.
I recently blogged about my POV regarding Support demand in 2021 and beyond (spoiler alert: Support demand will increase). While increased demand presents an opportunity for Support to take on more high-value customer engagement activities, it first requires increases investment in diversified, targeted actions that will enable Support delivery at scale. Focus on these five action areas that have been proven to drive results.
- Prevention – Support must take the lead in identifying the root causes of support demand and aggressively advocate for mitigation of these circumstances. Support must work with Engineering groups to improve product performance and usability issues and work across the company to promote effective customer onboarding and skills development activities.
- Self-Help – Support teams represent a repository of product expertise and must work to make their knowledge available to customers. Many new support cases can be avoided if customers are able to access the knowledge and expertise of Support. Transferring knowledge to customers to help them become more self-sufficient should be high on the list of strategic imperatives for all Support organizations. Read more about self-help and Knowledge management.
- Proficiency – Companies need to look beyond just helping customers help themselves and consider how they can build customers expertise so they can use and apply products more competently. Proficiency will require companies to move beyond a reliance on self-help-focused strategies and invest in building the foundational technical and business skills customers need to apply products successfully. For a great example of building customer proficiency, read our article about Salesforce Trailhead.
- Automation – Support has always been a labor-intensive function that relies on the skills of product experts. Support cannot scale based solely on human power. Read 6 Ways to Apply AI to Technical Support.
- Augmentation – The ability to rapidly adjust staffing levels is difficult but may be a business imperative in situations such as high growth, seasonality, fluctuating demand, or in response to an unexpected shock. Maintaining redundant sources of capacity and leveraging trusted providers of on-demand expertise to augment your team provides a viable way to scale support.
Want to better understand Support demand trends? Download our research.
Are you ready for the challenges your Support organization will face in the year ahead? Are you ready to capitalize on new opportunities? How will you scale and transform Support?
For insights about how Support is changing and the opportunities and imperatives for 2021, download ServiceXRG’s latest study: Support Transformation: The Guide to Essential Practices and Metrics. It examines current trends in Support delivery and offers tangible guidance for Support, Success and Service professionals to meet growing expectations of both customers and company executives. Download your copy now.
Make your plan to meet the Support demand in your organization—we can help.
ServiceXRG provides coaching and guidance to help companies maximize customer value through better Support performance. Contact us anytime to set up an initial assessment of your Support planning needs. Use the chat button at bottom right, send an e-mail, or click on my calendar to schedule a specific time.